Cutting down on the waste generated by your business has easy yet far-reaching benefits. With waste disposal costing businesses up to 4% of their turnover, strategising for business waste optimisation can affect your bottom line in a meaningful way, says business service providers, Smarter Business. The benefits include:
- Saving money. Discovering the correct waste strategy both saves and has the potential to make your business money.
- Legal compliance. Your business has a duty to dispose of its waste responsibly. Avoid penalties and enjoy peace of mind around your business’s compliance.
- Environmental impact. By adjusting behaviour and embracing sustainable practices, your business has a reduced negative environmental impact.
- Competitive advantage. The changing trend towards green businesses affects the environmental ethos of businesses awarded contracts and who clients want to work with. Going green improves your reputation and meets your clients’ demands.
If your business is generating an inordinate amount of waste, this can be directly linked to inefficiencies in your systems and processes. Making a change to your business waste strategy is easily achieved and is a matter of approach. This is how you can reduce your business waste and save in 2019.
- Audit your waste. You can’t reduce your waste unless you understand the different waste areas of your enterprise. Look generally and then start to look into specifics. How much unnecessary waste packaging do you generate? Speak to your employees and see if they have any insights. Where are you using excessive raw materials and what waste do your processes create?
- Re-use. Recycle. This adage applies more than ever. By collecting meaningful data, you will reveal areas where you can reduce usage, where you can re-use materials, and how you can recycle. By minimising your landfill impact, your environmental profile is improved and you can save money and strategise your business waste.
- Train your employees. Get buy-in from the people who can make a real difference – your employees. Get their insights into how to reduce waste and keep them informed of the details of your waste initiatives, provide training where necessary, and make implementation of your strategy easy.
- Streamline your waste management.It makes sense to employ the services of experts in the waste field. There are a range of important considerations that affect your waste management impact. Your waste strategy is a unique line in your business’s individual fingerprint. Your circumstances will dictate the efficacy of your strategy and working with a local, effective, expert team frees up resources and unlocks potential for business optimisation through waste.
The team at Smarter Business is best-placed to provide a full range of waste services to SMEs and large corporates around the UK. Partner with their team by clicking here.