Even when many service providers are competing to provide a faster 4G network facility, we see the introduction of a 5G network.
We are running a race against time. More and more technological advancements seem to provide endless opportunities beyond 4G network facility. People want more speed and quicker work completion. This enables them to complete projects on time and so productivity increases.
The world runs on information and for this staying connected is very essential. We have come from a very primitive stage when communication took days to reach the other side. With advanced technologies, even now the speed of transmission does not seem enough. To have high-speed connectivity, research is always happening. This can be of great help to various sectors in the world. Certain operators have already started to prepare themselves to be ready for the next revolution in technology, 5G. The following article reveals information about 5G, how telecom major AT&T is going to make it a reality, and the challenges before it for the same.
Before anything else, let us look into what 5G network is. It is the fifth generation of wireless technology planned to be faster than the previous ones. Greater speeds are expected to be provided over a 5G network and this is something the world has never seen. When the network is fast, download and upload can be done faster.
Based on RouterCtrl, this makes businesses function efficiently. Gaming and everything that depends on a fast network now seems practically possible. Experiencing a network without lag is what most people desire. When 5G can deliver this, then there would be no looking back. We have seen network speeds from the humble 1G and slowly move over to the fastest 5G.
With the introduction of 5G technology, we can see drastic changes in speed, security, bandwidth, and also the way in which work gets done. As gaming is being taken up the world over seriously, 5G will help more gamers to enter the arena.
What can you do with 5G?
- It can help you in achieving significant improvements in network connectivity. Billions of devices can be connected at the same time and share information over the internet.
- This can prove helpful in various kinds of industries. This, for example, can be of great help in the medical industry, aviation, production-oriented industries, etc.
- 5G can make advanced societies possible by improving sustainability. You can have smarter electricity grids that can reduce your carbon footprint.
- In case of any emergency, help can be made available at the quickest possible time with 5 G-enabled devices communicating at faster speeds.
- Do you know that the sensors that are connected with a highly efficient system can warn of natural disasters? Many times, accurate prediction is not made available at the right time and this makes situations worse. When high-speed internet connectivity is available without any glitches, then these can be made possible.
- 5G can assist the medical fraternity help people located at a long distance to get diagnosed on time and take the necessary treatment.
- In the case of industries, communication can help people know about machine faults in real-time. Precautions can be taken based on this.
- It can lessen human presence in risky environments by making remote access to powered robots. These need very good connectivity to work in real-time.
- Technology can also be efficiently used in the field of agriculture to grow crops in an effective manner.
- Stock-taking at warehouses and ports becomes easier with high-speed internet connectivity. The task can be very well done remotely.
- 5G can find great use in entertainment and gaming. VR and AR become more achievable with good network connectivity.
- Teaching online, that has recently taken the world by storm will be more doable with excellent communication. It can be made more engaging when people from any corner can get access to it.
- Virtual meetings can be made without any lag and this can help improve productivity. A stable connection can go a long way in completing tasks on time.
AT&T is expanding the coverage of 5G nationwide, making it a more reliable network service. This comes from the c-band spectrum. Presently two types of 5G are offered by AT&T. They are the ultra-responsive and the Ultrafast. By acquiring the c-band spectrum from Federal communications, it is trying to make faster delivery possible. Thereby attempt is made to give the consumers the experience of augmented reality possible. C-band spectrum is the next step for bringing 5G into real action.
- The benefit of the c-band is that it is economical in the sense that it does not require new cell sites to overlay on top of existing small grids. It also allows access to a range of spectrums with fewer challenges in propagation.
- To help bring 5G to more and more people, AT&T has entered into a pact with Ericsson. The company will support the deployment of the c-band spectrum and also the launch of standalone 5G. Ericsson has an advanced antenna system, advanced RAN coordination, and also carrier aggregation technologies. The coverage and capacity of the 5G network thereby can be optimized by AT&T in this manner. AT&T wants to tap Ericsson’s leading network expertise to bring seamless 5G connectivity.
- This means access will be given to more and more consumers and businesses across all industries. To support future network enhancements and give more flexibility in faster service delivery Ericsson’s radio system is very helpful. This is called cloud RAN and it is a software solution that can handle compute functionality in RAN. this helps in evolving towards cloud-native technologies and open network architectures. For implementing C band spectrum Ericsson’s advanced antenna system is very essential. It can help handle enhanced mobile broadband.
Challenges in 5G implementation:
- The availability of spectrum and the implementation issues pose a challenge for 5G. It needs to operate on higher frequencies like 300 GHz. But the availability of the band is an issue for operators. Higher band spectrums have to be bid for the 5G network to be a reality.
- To support 5G IT-related architecture and platforms need to be developed. They help in the successful implementation of 5G. It involves a lot of intricacies and so knowledge from the people working on this is very essential. Deployment of skilled people to carry out the IT-related tasks for 5G implementation also becomes a challenge.
- The market is not yet filled with 5G devices. There is a limited number of 5G devices since the previous technology is still being used. The scheduling of 5G deployment will depend on the availability of devices but since the devices are very less it seems to be a daunting task. Due to high power consumption heating remains a very big technical challenge.
- Investment in terms of 5G is also huge. This is with regard to infrastructure and also the implementation stage. The cost of testing is also very huge. Before the implementation of this new technology, there needs to be a lot of step-by-step tests. Only after satisfactory performance in the testing, can it be put to real-time use.
- Regulatory standards in terms of radiation also need to be looked into. The location of the equipment etc also comes into consideration when speaking about this point.