Businesses failing to boost staff productivity and motivation

friend colleagues

Research has revealed that businesses are failing to provide the seasonal benefits that can help consistent employee productivity and motivation during the summer months. The research carried out in July also shows that workers are increasingly feeling less trusted and appreciated by their companies and reveal the most effective ways for businesses to address this trend.

Motvation and productivity is understandably lacked at times as, 86 per cent of workers say their company offers no luxuries during the summer months, however the most common offers to the remaining 14 per cent state to have been summer hours, casual dress and free ice cream.

With traditional working patterns and behaviours constantly evolving, office workers are placing increasing value on the trust employers have in them to manage how, where and when they work. 88 per cent said that feeling they have the trust of their company is important to their productivity at work. Yet the survey findings reveal that a third of workers don’t feel trusted by their company, with a strong increase in the number of workers wishing that their companies trusted them more to manage how they work –  55 per cent. With employees valuing flexibility to a greater extent in the summer months, businesses have a clear opportunity to show workers that they are trusted by allowing staff more autonomy.

The research further reveals that less than half of workers currently feel appreciated by their company, yet demonstrating to employees that their work is appreciated is recognised as one of the most effective ways to boost happiness and motivation in the workplace. Aside from salary, top ranked to make employees feel appreciated, were training and development, recognition and rewards, as well as the appropriate tools and technology to allow them to work effectively. By introducing some of these changes, businesses can help to ensure that employees feel they are a valued part of the business.

Companies seeking to use a greater range of home comforts to boost staff performance should consider introducing spaces such as quiet rooms and collaborative zones – 69 per cent of workers say that quiet areas to work would make them more productive, though only a third of workers have such spaces available to them. It was also surprising that despite the drive to modernise offices and workplace wellbeing, very few companies offered even fairly basic amenities – over a quarter of respondents said that their company did not have full kitchen facilities and less than a third were provided with fruit and breakfast.

It’s recognised that enjoying the company of colleagues helps foster cooperation and a positive, productive environment. With 91 per cent saying they value workplace friendships and 81 per cent saying that such friendships boost their productivity, fostering team work and bonding should be a top priority for businesses. Yet current workplaces could do more to address this, with half of respondents saying that informal break out areas and communal spaces would help them bond with their colleagues, yet only 31 per cent of workers have collaborative zones that facilitate team work and bonding.

Jitesh Patel, Chief Executive at Peldon Rose, commented: “Understanding what makes employees content and perform well at work is a critical concern for ambitious businesses and our surveys are designed to capture the insights and information from office workers to give companies the best opportunity to address their concerns and create happier and more productive offices.

“Clearly our survey findings reveal that businesses could do more to improve in such areas as providing seasonal benefits, while also there is a need to address office workers concerns that they  are not sufficiently trusted and appreciated.

“By implementing some very straightforward changes, such as providing more quiet and collaborative zones, offering more facilities such as proper kitchens and shower rooms, training and development and the right tools and technology, companies can improve the sense of wellbeing and foster team work and boding, which are the key elements of a successful, happy and productive office.”