Why you shouldn’t be stopping your SEO during lockdown


SEO, or Seach Engine Optimisation, to those who aren’t well-versed in digital marketing jargon just yet, is the practice of optimising your website so that it comes up as near to the first results for Google searches (and other search engines) as possible. Making sure you’re the first name people see when they search for your products or services is invaluable, as 95% of traffic goes to websites that show up on page 1 of search results, leaving only 5% of traffic for everyone else!

However, as great as SEO can be for your business, it is by nature, a form of marketing that doesn’t give you instant results – you’ll hardly ever be able to move from obscurity to page one in a week, or even a month! SEO is a gradual process, but the results you can get really do make it worth the wait.

Because of this gradual impact, one of the most important things to do when it comes to SEO is to do it regularly and continuously. SEO consultants are always changing, tweaking and adapting the sites they work on to help you move that extra position or two up the rankings. Regular website maintenance, continuous link building, citation creations and amendments to support local visibility, not to mention the daily monitoring of your rankings, search console account, analytics, and audience trends are all part of SEO, and things that you need to keep at if you want to not only reach the top, but stay there as well.

Right now, it’s business as usual for some industries, and decidedly not for others. However, while you might have seen a change in your business model or be unable to work at all, it’s important to remember that more people than ever are searching whilst being stuck at home, and that SEO is vital to making sure your business can be found by them. Right now, the time between your first point of contact and conversion might well be longer than before, but as measures slowly begin to ease up, it will happen!

If at all possible, please don’t give up on your SEO, even if things are looking slow – in the long run you won’t regret it!