The crypto boom in the post-pandemic world is making people interested in the business worldwide. However, without in-depth knowledge of the trade, it is rather tricky to put your money on the line.
This article helps gain a basic understanding of each type of cryptocurrency exchange. So, let us get started.
Various kinds of cryptocurrency exchanges
#1: Centralized exchanges:
A CEX is a platform where buyers and sellers exchange tokens where a centralized authority takes responsibility for the security of the crypto and the transactions. It is generally not anonymous and licensed by the government. Some of the top crypto exchange platforms handle all the technicalities to give the user a feeling of convenience.
#2: Decentralized exchanges:
DEX is an independent exchange platform without any central authority like a CEX. Decentralized exchanges use most of the blockchain infrastructure to connect the buyers and sellers interested in exchanging their tokens.
#3: Hybrid exchanges:
Apart from these two, we have the new generation crypto trading platforms known as a hybrid, which brings the best of both CEX and DEX.
Regulation and licensing of the exchanges
Central exchanges generally get licensed and regulated by the government. It is always wise to go for a CEX in jurisdictions where crypto exchanges are in an unpredictable state.
In a decentralized exchange, there is no government-imposed regulation. This translates to better flexibility and no fear of being shut down.
Difference between DEX, CEX, HEX
- Ownership of funds:In a CEX, the funds are managed by the exchange. Contrarily, in a decentralized or hybrid ecosystem, the users have complete control of their funds.
- Liquidity: Liquidity is significantly higher in a CEX. A DEX or HEX is liquidity depends on temporal trading volume.
- Features:You can experience limited features in decentralized or hybrid exchange platforms. On the other hand, a centralized exchange offers you a wide array of features to make your user experience as smooth as possible.
- Fiat gateway: Centralized and hybrid exchanges offer a convenient fiat gateway. In a DEX, there is no such gateway.
- Trading volume: Trading volume is high in any centralized exchange. For the other two types, the trading volume remains relatively low.
- User experience: Maintained by firm means, the interface of a CEX is very straightforward, unlike a DEX platform. A hybrid platform also is pretty easy to use concerning a decentralized one.
- Matching speed: The order of matching speed is the highest for CEX and the lowest for DEX. For Hybrid exchange, the pace is rather coherent.
- Confidentiality:In a CEX, you don’t have any confidentiality as your address gets associated with your real-life identity. On the other hand, a DEX or HEX gives you complete anonymity.
- Security: The security of CEX is poor. It is prone to crypto theft. Where a DEX and HEX ensure remarkably secure transactions.
Various ways you can purchase cryptocurrencies
#1: Traditional exchange method:
The core concept of the traditional method is very similar to a stock exchange. Here, you can exchange an asset of yours with fiat money or another crypto coin by placing a limit order to find interested buyers or sellers in the depth of the market (DOM).
#2: P2P crypto exchange:
The P2P crypto exchange method is regarded as the most secure and anonymous method. In this method, you buy or sell any asset from another individual with confidentiality preserved. Over-the-counter or OTC trading desks primarily work as a middleman if the amount of cryptocurrency is large. This process gets used by hedge funds, venture capital firms, and crypto miners.
#3: Via brokers and CFDs:
Hiring a broker lets you find a counterparty for the trade. The broker takes a fee from the buyer or seller to provide standard security for both parties. Also, you can expect to utilize CFD trading where, unlike the traditional exchange, nobody has custody of the physical asset.
#4: Derivative exchanges:
The final option is derivative exchanges, which can be extremely profitable if used prudently. To maximize your profit in the derivatives market, you have to trade the underlying asset price to reap the benefits of high-leverage trading with instruments like perpetual swaps.
Every type of exchange has its own merits and drawbacks. Now, it is up to you what matters the most. If you want speed and convenience, go for a CEX. Want confidentiality and full custody of your funds? Then DEX will be your best choice.