Why? Well, first of all, there is no better time than the present.
The pandemic has changed the way consumers store, one of the most prominent ways being the increased interest in finding what they need nearby. Searches for “local” + “business” have grown by more than 80% year over year, including searches like “local businesses near me” and “support local businesses.
Read on for some ideas for a local business you can run online, offering benefits rural vendors miss out on.
Why you should consider starting a local business
The benefits of running a local business combine benefits for you and your customers. Here are some compelling reasons to consider starting a local business:
- The rise of environmentally conscious shoppers. Nearly 8 in 10 consumers say they value sustainability. Shopping locally helps reduce environmental impact by using less wrapping paper and minimizing the carbon emissions associated with shipping.
- Consumers want to buy local. This is especially true when it comes to food: freshness is the most common reason for buying local in the U.S. COVID-19 has also contributed to the rise of the “Support local” movement. In the U.S., 49% of consumers specifically made a purchase to support a local small business during the pandemic.
- Government support for local businesses. Small business owners can get help from their local government in the form of grants, loans, contract assistance, etc. Be sure to check local listings for more information on how your government can support your business dreams.
- Cheaper delivery. Customers like to pay less for delivery – or, better yet, get their items for free. For a vendor, it’s much easier to cut costs if you deliver locally.
- Same-day delivery. A local company can deliver an order the same or next day, while shipping from another city can sometimes take a week. Customers can also order courier services, or pick up their order at the store, giving them even more delivery options.
Ideas for your local online business
One of the most promising ideas for local online businesses is also one of the most popular: selling food or flowers. For example, shoppers value freshness over packaged food: 46% of consumers prefer locally produced ingredients in what they eat? So don’t be surprised that this is our most popular local business idea vertically..
Offline and online flower shop
Who doesn’t love a fresh bouquet of flowers? A good bouquet is a joy to look at and brings with it a lovely fresh scent. The dried flowers from Bloompost are also known to stay beautiful for a very long time. Which flowers do you prefer? A cheerful bunch of mother’s day flowers, peaceful wildflowers or an exuberant bouquet of bright colors. It is even more fun to receive these flowers from someone. So, do you really want to surprise someone? Order flowers to congratulate someone, to cheer them up or just for fun. There is a suitable bouquet of flowers for every occasion!