Can I get a court order to put my loved one in rehab?


There are so many people around the world suffering from addiction and substance abuse, including in Canada.

Watching your loved one suffer from addiction is hard. Whether it is a neighbor or a friend, you don’t want to see anyone fall into the abyss from a seemingly preventable disease. Living with an addiction is an everyday battle.

Rehabilitation is a long road and addicts must have a strong support system in place for them to be successful and keep from relapsing. Try to find your loved one the best help they can get by checking them into a facility that is focused on their getting better and preventing relapses. If they’re adamant about not getting help, there are ways to get them committed, you just may need to speak to an attorney to find out how.

Finding Help

When it comes to court orders, the best advice you can get is to speak with an experienced attorney. This particular problem is considered a family law matter. There are various experienced family law attorneys who can help you out.

You can even make an appointment online for a consultation. In most cases, you’ll need proof that your loved one is a danger to themselves or others in order to get a court order to put them into a rehabilitation facility or treatment center. Proof may come from letters or text messages that your loved one has sent, any suicide attempts or even identifying marks from past suicide attempts will suffice as evidence. For information on other ways to get help for your loved one consult a counselor or attorney.


Interventions have worked for many individuals in the past. Sometimes your loved one is unaware of the impact that their substance abuse is having on the people around them. Addicts don’t usually think of others when they’re going to get their fix, they’re typically thinking about themselves and their next high. In doing this, they miss important events like a spouse’s birthday, anniversaries, and even important dates for their children like school plays and events.

Often, alcohol and drug addiction can make people unaware of how they’re acting when they’re on a binge or bender. If you have text messages or videos of their destructive behavior it can help them come to terms with how you or a family member are feeling and how they’ve hurt you. Once they’ve seen the light they may agree to go into a treatment center or rehabilitation program on their own.

Rehabilitation Centers

Provincially funded rehabilitation centers run day programs that are available to everyone and fill up fast. In-patient care is typically reserved for court-ordered patients and patients with mental health disorders who are a danger to themselves and others.

Fortunately, there are private drug rehab centers that are available for both in- and out-patient needs, like providing life-changing addiction medications, treatment programs like 12-step programs, group therapy, and spousal support. These centers provide one-on-one sessions and are motivated to get your loved one sober and prevent relapses from occurring.

Addiction is hard to overcome, for your addicted loved one the battle is never ending. Addicts need support and compassion from their family and friends because they’re always thinking about their addiction and can relapse at any point if their support system isn’t in place.

Try to get your loved one to voluntarily commit themselves into a drug rehabilitation center before resorting to the courts. Sometimes just telling them how you feel or how you’ve felt during their binges can make all of the difference. If you’ve hit a wall, find an experienced family law attorney to help you find options to get a court order. Addiction recovery is possible, do what is best for your family and loved ones and find them the help they need by checking them into a rehab facility with a strong support system in place.