CBD, or Cannabidiol, is just one of the over 113 different cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. It’s important to note that Hemp-derived CBD oil is much different than Cannabis-derived CBD oil, wherein hemp CBD contains less than 0.3% THC, and cannabis CBD contains up to 10% THC.
THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the active compound in cannabis that is responsible for the feeling of being “high”, but in dogs, can be very toxic. Luckily, Hemp CBD also has a very low toxicity level, which makes it incapable of resulting in an overdose.
A reputable pet CBD company will also offer a handy dog CBD calculator for you to find the right dosage for your pet’s needs when using CBD products.
Commonly referred to as Hemp seed oil for dogs to deter confusion with Cannabis-derived CBD, pet owners across the globe have found an effective alternative to traditional treatments with CBD pet supplements for their four-legged friends’ conditions.
Benefits of CBD
CBD has grown exponentially over the years, and research continues to grow each and every day. Fortunately, CBD can be used for our pets as well for a variety of health conditions, including:
- Appetite loss
- Cardiovascular health
- Chronic pain relief
- Elbow dysplasia
- Hip dysplasia
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Muscle spasms
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Pain associated with joints and surgery
How Does CBD Help Your Pet?
Dogs, cats, and even horses, share the same endocannabinoid that us humans do. That’s why CBD has proven to be effective for numerous medical conditions not only in humans, but in our beloved pets as well.
The endocannabinoid system, or ECS, works so well with cannabidiol oil because of the CB1 and CB2 receptors found in the brain, central nervous, immune cells, and in the peripheral organs.
Imagine a keyhole in the ECS and CBD as the key – once unlocked, the cannabinoids from CBD supplements can help with a variety of conditions, such as anxiety, pain, seizures, skin conditions, neurological disorders, and many more.
What You Need To Know Before Giving Your Pet CBD
It’s important to note that because of the very low THC found in Hemp CBD, your pet will become “high” like we most often associate when it comes to derivatives of the cannabis plant – but only if you purchase CBD derived from the hemp plant.
When purchasing CBD for pets, be sure that you are buying from a reputable seller and that you can easily request or view a Certificate of Analysis (COA) to ensure the CBD supplements have been lab tested and contain less than 0.3% THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive stimulant found in the cannabis plant.
Because of Hemp CBD’s low toxicity, CBD is incapable of overdosage. However, it is highly suggested that you begin with the lowest dosage possible when introducing your pet to CBD, and then slowly work your way up in dosing after one week until you get the desired results.
The most common side effect that comes with CBD is slight drowsiness, especially if your pet is new to the supplement.
Why Should Your Pet Use CBD?
Traditional prescriptions and treatments, unfortunately, come with many unwanted and negative side effects, especially with long term use. Many pet owners across the globe have found great success when switching over to CBD for pets, such as dogs, cats, horses, and even lions!
CBD has natural, powerful antioxidant properties and antibiotic properties, amongst many other benefits which make it jam-packed with efficiency when it comes to helping ease symptoms of different conditions that our pets may suffer from.
CBD has also been known to generally improve overall cardiovascular health, such as reducing blood pressure and heart rate, often associated with stress and anxiety, many of which our pets may deal with on a daily basis.
How To Choose The Right CBD Product For Your Pet
A key factor to note is that hemp-based CBD products are legal in all 50 states due to the low THC content (0.3% or less), however it is best to check with the company before purchasing as some states have very restricted laws regarding CBD.
As CBD has grown in popularity over the past few years, it’s worthwhile to note that not all CBD oils and supplements are the same. Therefore, with the competition out and about, here’s a few important things to look out for when choosing the right CBD Hemp product for your four-legged friend:
- Look for CBD oils: CBD Oil is a relatively easy, and fast-acting form of administration that many pet owners seek. It’s very easy and handy to use when adjusting your pet’s dosage.
- Go organic: The best CBD products are 100% organic – be sure to watch out for any pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. Products without additives are highly suggested, and you’ll want the purest form of CBD when shopping for the right CBD for your pet.
- Lab Tested: 3rd party lab-tested CBD products are ideal whenever you’re looking to purchase CBD oils, because you can be rest assured that the product was quality-tested and that you are getting the proper amount of CBD as advertised. You can often request or find the lab result, or Certificate of Analysis, from a reputable company.
- Cheap isn’t always the best: Just like with any product – cheap doesn’t necessarily mean you’re getting the best bang for your buck. Quality CBD products that undergo safe processing can be costly, and very cheap CBD products often mean that the product didn’t go through a CO2 extraction method – one of the safest extraction methods that are commonly used in producing CBD supplements.